Henbury Golf Club was founded 132 years ago in 1891 on Coombe Hill as a private members club run by the members for the members and that remains true to this day.
We have a thriving junior, mens, ladies and seniors’ sections.
In those early days, the fields were in the ownership of John Harford who also owned Blaise Castle. An iron hut was erected in January 1893 to serve as The Golf House. The initial course consisted of nine holes, but this was extended to eighteen holes within a few years. The present clubhouse was finished in 1959 at a cost of £23,732 and was widely regarded and still is, as one of the best in the area.
During the Great War the first two fairways were turned into a wheatfield, and the lower part of the course was returned to farm use. Restoration took some time, and it was not until May 1920 that a new eighteen holes course was opened. The holes were laid out with the same design as today but in a different order.
The land on which we now play the 3rd and 4th was purchased in 1954 and the 14th hole was upgraded to a par 5 in 1973 by extending it over a now ‘filled-in quarry’. The quarry, when it was exhausted, was as deep as the Avon Gorge and measured some 150 yards by 100 yards.
Further improvements have been carried out in the late 1990’s with over £500K being invested in several new tees and 4 new greens. This included the 7th, our feature Par 3 hole. Its spectacular drop across the river Trym, makes it one of the most challenging and attractive holes in the area. The entrance hall was renewed, and a new Professional’s Shop was built. All this was achieved with the help of members loans and a VAT rebate to give us the course we now play. The white course measures 6001 yards (course rating 69.3) and the yellow course is 5716 yards with a rating of 67.9. The red course is 5495 yards in length and has a rating of 73.2.
The challenge of the golf course is enhanced by the many trees populating it and several tree planting schemes have been funded by the membership over the last 50 years. In 2022 we commissioned the area between the 13th and 16th as a large wildflower display. During the summer it is a truly wonderful area that helps the wildlife and the environment while giving members and visitors immense pleasure.
We have had some wonderfully talented players in our history but three deserve special mention. Malcolm Lewis, a Walker Cup player, won the Silver Medal in the 1982 Open Championship at Troon. Nick Day, amongst his many great triumphs, won the English Mid Amateur in 2018 and the late Peggy Reece was one of finest lady amateurs in the country. England Captain in 1966 through to President of the English Women’s Golf Association in 1996, she enjoyed an illustrious career. Their achievements and those of others are celebrated in our entrance hall.
Henbury created the City and County of Bristol Championship. Over the years Ryder Cup players such as Brian Barnes, Gordon Brand jnr and Chris Wood have won this prestigious event in their amateur years.
Henbury prides itself on its friendly atmosphere and welcomes players of all abilities.